Sunday 15 March 2020

Creating my Ideal Customer Avatar.

Understanding what my target audience is:

While our first assignment was pretty much understanding about the basics, 2nd assignment will help us in understanding what our customer’s base would be.
Before you start, let us take a quick recap of what we learnt in the first class:
1.     What exactly is Digital marketing
2.     How to ‘Find the gold’
3.     Understand what the Golden triangle is
In this assignment, we will be talking at length about what these concepts are and how they will always stand tall and make sense in our career.

GOLDEN TRIANGLE – LEARN, DO, TEACH


Whatever we learn, our ultimate aim is to grasp it so well that we can implement it in our real lives and if time comes we should have the potential to teach someone. That is what the ULTIMATE PURPOSE of the golden triangle is – to help understand things in a much fun way.


Now the question that arises in anyone’s mind after reading this is: WHY SHOULD IT BE DONE THIS WAY ONLY?


Let me take a classic example from my life and explain it to you in a fun way : let’s just go in the past and reminisce our school days. Back then when I was in 2nd standard my Maths Teacher taught me BODMAS rule and being a chatterbox I was so busy in gossiping with my newly made friends that I just grasped about 20% of what I was taught and even before I could understand and apply it to solve the complex problems that I was given up as homework, the teacher left the classroom. To save my ass, I immediately rushed to the most studious kid of our class and asked her to explain the concept to me. Not only she just taught me but also made her fundamentals clear by explaining it to someone who was in dire need of some explaining.


This is how the Golden triangle works- whenever you learn something, make sure you teach it to someone. Whenever you teach, you understand things in a better way.


MISTAKES ARE FUTURE BENEFITS –




In following this approach you might fail tones of times. You might stumble; you might face a lot of hurdles, might commit some mistakes too but ALWAYS REMEMBER ‘the mistakes you make today are the benefits that you will get the value of in the near future'.


We humans are constantly put in a lot of pressure by outside factors that we often quit even before starting it. In this generation and age where everyone’s depicting their picture perfect perfection, we constantly fear of the mistakes that we might make in the process. Always remember, never try to be perfect in short term and never be afraid of making mistakes. Do not hesitate to take the first step and once you take it, just focus on doing things. Everyone has to start somewhere and that first step you take will take you to where you wish to be, nobody’s perfect and the ones who tells you they are, believe me they are just bluffing. In the process of becoming something all you have to do is to ‘CREATE VALUE FOR OTHERS’.


You are going to makes mistake, you just have to make sure that every step you take in the process of becoming something,  become the very best version of your own self.

HOW TO BECOME A GOOD MARKETER?

GAIN EXPERIENCE – 


When I first started sending out my marketing proposal I was not that great in turning a potential client into an actual client. As time went by, I realized I need to learn too many knick-knacks of actually running a business and one of the biggest skill that was very important to excel at was to be a very good conversationalist.

 I had to make sure that I was able to paint a vision for their product and how I’d make their book a bestseller. Believe me, before I got into this trade I always thought of myself as a very confident, suave and an excellent conversationalist but reality hit me hard. Then I realized what was the reason behind such a big difference, the fact that the conversation that I had before was with my friends and the comfort level that we guys share is something that I lacked with my clients.

I realized what my problem was and the solution was right in front of me.

‘If I could not converse well 1-1 then how can I converse with 1-many’.
Well to be an excellent marketer I have to make sure that I become an excellent communicator. 

Everything else can be taken care of, be it writing blog posts, mailers, communicating to my audience via mailers if I just learn to address them as a friend and not as their mentor.

Deepak sir asked us while reading his mails; do we feel that he is talking to us directly? And I realized, YES INFACT HE IS.



WHY IT IS IMPORTANT TO BE AUTHENTIC TO COMMUNICATE BETTER?

Deepak sir quoted ‘people are tired of fake people with social persona and everyone’s attracted to someone real’.

Have you ever seen influencers on social media promoting the products they are paid heavily for but have you ever questioned them whether they believe in the product? If you do you’d realize 90% of the influencers out there would not swear or stand for the authenticity or words they tend to make us believe viz-a-via their campaigns.
There’s a very thin line of character differentiation between fake and genuine influencers and that is their CREDIBILITY AND ATTRACTIVENESS.

As an example, I see Deepak sir In positive light.

Deepak sir helps people become what he is today. He always stands on his grounds and make people believe in the products he sells. His USP is that he himself became a brand first n he leads people by giving people his own example.
For me he is a classic renowned example of an authentic influencer who believe in their product and help you reach where you wish to reach.
What we learnt here – as an influencer you should make sure that you talk about the issues that matter without thinking about the response you might get from your audience. Having a voice that is heard is important.

Now the main question arises: WHO IS A BETTER MARKETER?


PEOPLE WITH MORE LIFE EXPERIENCES ARE BETTER MARKETERS. 

That’s right. You need not to have professional degrees or know tones of things. Strange no. for starters, what matters is that how well can a person who you trying to sell your product or services too, connects with you and if you a person who could just help them relate with you at some level, they are all yours.


To gain new life experiences you have to make sure that you TRAVEL, LEARN NEW LANGUAGES AND TRY NEW THINGS ALL THE TIME.

You need to find out who your audience is and as Deepak sir quoted, ‘if everyone is your audience, then no one is your audience’.
Now you must be thinking how to find out who our target audience is, the answer is simple. Here’s when ‘Customer avatar’ comes to your rescue.

HOW TO DEFINE YOUR TARGET AUDIENCE?

We need to figure out and differentiate our target audience on the basis of DEMOGRAPHICS and PHYSIO-GRAPHICS data.

While in Demographics we figure out ‘WHO’ our buyer is where as Physiographic defines ‘WHY THEY BUY IT

Demographics include gender, age, income etc

Physio graphic includes lifestyle, social class, attitude, beliefs etc.

So how do you write to your customer avatar?




1.     You have to write in a way that it addresses to one customer at a time.
2.     Connect with them 1:1. Make sure you address them as if you writing to a friend and they should connect with you on some level.
3.     Understand what your customers needs is try to address the elephant in the room.
4.     Emails and messaging are mediums that are way too powerful than any social media. Make sure you write it in such a personalized way that it seems like you are conversing to them 1-1
5.     The 1st sentence you write has to be strong than the headline, 2nd sentence should be stronger than the first and so on. Headline>1st sentence>2nd sentence>3rd>4th. The message you are trying to convey via your article should be written in a way that it speaks to the audience.
6.     You might feel awkward sometime while extracting information from your Customer, you need not to feel awkward. Awkwardness’s an indicator of learning.

When you make your customer avatar, make sure you FOCUS ON CENTRE AND NOT ON THE BORDER.

*CENTRE FOCUS – YOUR IDEAL CUSTOMER.


Now that you know how to identify your ideal customer via your customer avatar survey, let us start the journey of knowing what he/she would look like. Creating the buyer’s persona is just the first step.

Make sure you create a questionnaire that figures out what our customer’s needs and desires are, you have to dive deep and find out as much as you can about your customer.

‘WHENEVER YOU LEARN SOMETHING NEW, IT IS GOING TO CHALLENGE WHAT YOU ALREADY KNOW’


Now that we have all the key points of creating our customer avatar, I made out a questionnaire and sent it across to my CUSTOMERS and the IDEAL buyer persona for my service looks like this:





Fictional Name: Tashu

Age: 25

Gender: female

Location: Ahmedabad

Education: post graduate

Annual income: 5 Lakhs PA

Live with: parents

Own a house: yes

Own a car: yes

Occupation: owns a business

Spend her day in: studying, researching, learning and working

Do you feel your education was worth the money you spent? Yes

Where do you see yourself after 5 years? As an entrepreneur who makes 1 Crore PA.


This is what my ideal customer’s persona looks like. 

Buyer persona’s nothing but a niche that you select things from the pool of sea and things that you can sell/promote.

As a service provider we have to focus on our target customer and create the best of our capability and create value for money.

So now that you know how to create a customer avatar, prepare yours and post it in the comment section.

No comments:

Post a Comment